cross next project  
  • http://www.davidhowell.net/index.php/commertial/strand-bookstore/
    commercialStrand Bookstore
    hide 

    The Strand was opened by Benjamin Bass in 1927 on nearby Fourth Avenue, in what was known as “Book Row”, which was established as early as 1890, and which had at the time 48 bookstores. Bass’s son Fred took over the business in 1956 and soon moved the store to the present location at the corner of East 12th Street and Broadway. Fred’s daughter Nancy is co-owner of the store, and is also married to U.S. Senator Ron Wyden of Oregon. The store occupies three and a half floors, using half a floor for offices and one additional floor as warehouse space. As of December 2011, the store has 2.5 million books. DHD designed the refurbishment and added the glass elevator as part of the architectural scope.

    Photography: DHD

    left
    right